City Leaders Academy
Developing Columbus’ Leaders of Tomorrow
Are you interested in helping lead Columbus into the future? Join us for City Leaders Academy! During this nine-month program, you’ll learn about the inner workings of the City of Columbus, increase your citizenship skills and receive mentoring from City and community leaders. You’ll improve your public speaking, facilitation, teamwork, community awareness and leadership skills, preparing you to become a leader in your community!
Mr. Antonio Combs, Jr., Program Director
Class of 2023
Applications will be accepted beginning May 1, 2023, and are due by 5 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 8, 2023. Applications may be scanned and e-mailed to ANCombs@columbus.gov or returned by hard copy to our offices at the Jerry Hammond Center, 1111 E. Broad Street, Columbus, Ohio 43205. You may mail your application or leave it with the guard desk.
All applications should include:
- A completed application
- A letter from a teacher or administrator, or a community leader
- Two written essays for grades 6-8, three written essays for grade 9
- Interviews with the program coordinator(s)
- Must be a City of Columbus resident (If you are currently receiving City of Columbus trash and recycling services, you are eligible)
- Must be entering grades 6-9 grade in Fall 2023 and maintain a 2.80 GPA
- One child per household is eligible each year
Participation is key to a successful experience! The orientation session is mandatory, and you cannot miss more than two school year meet-ups. Check your calendar before applying!
- 5 p.m., Sept. 8, 2023: Application deadline
- Sept. 22, 2023: Parents and youth notified of application decision
- Oct. 7, 2023: Mandatory parent/youth in-person orientation
- Oct. 21: First school year monthly meet up; occurs every third Saturday
- May 18, 2024: Graduation