Marinas and Docks
Public Boat Dock Rentals
Griggs, Hoover and O’Shaughnessy reservoirs
May 1–Oct. 31
New Customers Accepted
$550 per season
Process for Obtaining a Dock Permit
Starting April 15, 2024, new customers can come to the Columbus Recreation and Parks offices, located in the Jerry Hammond Center at 1111 E. Broad Street, Columbus, Ohio 43205, to reserve an available dock at any of our three marina locations (not including Red Bank Marina) on a first-come, first-served basis. You may call 614-645-3337 with any questions. There is free surface lot parking at the Jerry Hammond Center.
- New customers must provide a valid boat registration to obtain a dock permit.
- Bills of sale will fulfill this requirement until registration is processed.
- The dock and boat must be in the same name.
- View Dock Availability (set date in drop down to see live availability).
Security at the marinas is a common concern of people considering a slip at one of these public areas. The City of Columbus addresses this issue in several ways:
- Encouraging the boat owners to take an active part in this process by not leaving appealing items on their boats to be removed.
- All of the marina areas are secured with locking gates which have the tumblers changed every season to further increase this safety precaution.
- Onshore lights shine on the docks at night and a watchful vigil is maintained by the Columbus Marine Park Police at Grigg’s and the Columbus Watershed Rangers at O’Shaughnessy and Hoover.
- At all three reservoirs, the patrol watercrafts are based adjacent to the marinas, and the watchful eye of these officers coming and going contributes to the low incidence of problems at the marinas.
Internal Switch Dates
For dock customers who obtained a dock or stake permit in 2023 and renewed for 2024 before the deadline of April 1, 2024, if you wish to change your public dock location (either a different slip at the same marina or to switch marinas), we will offer one week in which you can request this change. The dates open for moving your slip/marina will be April 8–14, 2024. Please contact us at 614-645-3337 to see what is available. In addition, the waitlist for Red Bank Marina has been created. If you would like to be added to this list, to have the chance to move to this location when availability allows, let our office know and we will reserve your spot in line.
Private Docks and Stakes
The permitting of private docks, stakes and moorings is governed by Title 9: “Streets, Parks, and Public Properties Code”; Chapter 921: “Watercraft on Reservoirs” of Columbus City Code.
Please call the Columbus Watershed Management program for further information and eligibility requirements: 614-645-1721.